SUPPORT THIS INDEPENDENT JOURNALISM
The article you’re about to read is from our reporters doing their important work — investigating, researching, and writing their stories. We want to provide informative and inspirational stories that connect you to the people, issues and opportunities within our community. Journalism requires lots of resources. Today, our business model has been interrupted by the pandemic; the vast majority of our advertisers’ businesses have been impacted. That’s why the DP Times is now turning to you for financial support. Learn more about our new Insider’s program here. Thank you.

San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station. File photo
San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station. File photo

By Jim Shilander and Andrea Papagianis

Southern California electric ratepayers won’t pay some $1.4 billion but are still on the hook for $3.3 billion in replacement power due to the shutdown of the San Onofre nuclear power. It is part of a potential agreement reached Thursday between the plant’s owners and utility advocacy groups.

Southern California Edison, San Diego Gas & Electric, The Utility Reform Network and California Public Utilities Commission’s Office of Ratepayer Advocates have worked out a tentative agreement on who will pay—customers and utility shareholders—and how much they will pay of the estimated $4.7 billion for the purchase of auxiliary power and expenses related to faulty equipment.

SONGS was shutdown in January 2012 after a radiation leak and abnormal wear in new steam generators was detected. Citing rising costs and restart uncertainty, Edison chose to retire the plant in June 2013.

Through utility bills starting in February 2012, some of the $3.3 billion for replacement power has been collected. Under the proposed agreement this could continue through January 2021. The agreement does however let ratepayers off the hook for the more than $1 billion associated with damaged steam generators.

During a call with investors and the media Thursday, Ted Craver, president of Edison International, said the settlement provided a “balanced outcome.”

The settlement allows Edison to pursue claims against Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, the steam generator’s manufacturer, Craver said. Edison and Mitsubishi entered into arbitration last year. The utility is seeking up to $4 billion in damages, including losses to shareholders.

BECOME AN INSIDER TODAY
Trustworthy, accurate and reliable local news stories are more important now than ever. Support our newsroom by making a contribution and becoming a subscribing member today.

About The Author Dana Point Times

comments (0)

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>