SUPPORT THIS INDEPENDENT JOURNALISM
The article you’re about to read is from our reporters doing their important work — investigating, researching, and writing their stories. We want to provide informative and inspirational stories that connect you to the people, issues and opportunities within our community. Journalism requires lots of resources. Today, our business model has been interrupted by the pandemic; the vast majority of our advertisers’ businesses have been impacted. That’s why the DP Times is now turning to you for financial support. Learn more about our new Insider’s program here. Thank you.

Cases over Strand Beach access return to lower court for decision, after state Supreme Court denies review

Fences and gates at the top and bottom of two access ways that cut through the Headlands development are at the center of an ongoing dispute between Dana Point, the California Coastal Commission and the Surfrider Foundation. Photo by Andrea Papagianis
Fences and gates at the top and bottom of two access ways that cut through the Headlands development are at the center of an ongoing dispute between Dana Point, the California Coastal Commission and the Surfrider Foundation. Photo by Andrea Papagianis

By Andrea Papagianis

Originally posted at 4 p.m. September12. Updated at 5 p.m. September 13.

The state’s highest court will not hear cases regarding gates and hours of access at Strand Beach that have swirled in debate since their implementation in 2008, according to the court’s website.

On Wednesday, the California Supreme Court denied the city of Dana Point’s petition for review of two lawsuits involving the California Coastal Commission and the nonprofit Surfrider Foundation, City Attorney Patrick Munoz confirmed Thursday. The lawsuits have been ongoing for three years.

Justice Marvin R. Baxter was the lone supporter of granting the petition out of the seven justices, according to the official docket.

A state appellate court remanded the Coastal Commission case back to a San Diego trial court in June, where the city must prove it acted in “good faith” when it established the two gated accessways and implemented hours of use. The city requested a rehearing but that was denied last month.

Gates on two pathways from Strand Vista Park to Strand Beach have been a point of contention since 2008 when they were installed. Photo by Andrea Papagianis
Gates on two pathways to Strand Beach have been a point of contention since 2008. Photo by Andrea Papagianis

Since the gates were installed, Surfrider has held the city has violated the public’s right to beach access, and the CCC has argued the city skirted proper protocol by not gaining commission approval before limiting beach access.

Two years after the gates were installed the Dana Point City Council unanimously adopted an ordinance stating a public nuisance existed at Strand. This ordinance allowed the city to validate the implementation of gates and hours of access.

The city has maintained these measures were necessary to protect the public on two of five pathways from Strand Vista Park to the beach below, which crisscross through a gated neighborhood, Strand at Headlands. Additionally, the city has argued that public access is not limited because there are unrestricted pathways just outside the neighborhood. Gates on two of the access points are open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., or 7 p.m., depending on the time of year.

While separately filed, the two lawsuits were consolidated at the superior court level due to their interrelatedness. The cases will now go back to a San Diego Superior Court. No trial date has been set, but Munoz said it was likely arguments could be heard within the next six months.

In a statement sent Thursday, the Surfrider Foundation praised the high court’s rejection to hear the case.

“Public beach access is guaranteed by the Coastal Act and California Constitution,” Angela Howe, legal director of the Surfrider Foundation, said in a statement. “We are happy to see that this case is finally on its way to resolution.”

Munoz expressed disappointment that the high court would not take on the issue.

History of the Strand access debate

2002: The city amends its Local Coastal Program for a new development called The Strand at Headlands. The LCP is a planning tool used by municipalities for developments in the coastal zone. The development was set to include 120 luxury homes. Additionally, a bluff-top public park was planned for.

2004: The amendment is approved by the California Coastal Commission, but requires the developer, Headlands Reserve LLC, to include two public trails to Strand Beach. Five trails were eventually established—two cut through the neighborhood, with the other three running alongside of it.

May 2009: Prior to opening Strand Vista Park the city installed gates at the top and bottom of two access trails running through the Headlands community. Hours of access were established.

October 2009: The Coastal Commission discovered the installation of gates and informed the city of a violation to the California Coastal Act of 1976. The act requires coastal development permits be approved before construction of certain facilities with in a coastal zone. The city was ordered to remove the gates.

November 2009: Coastal Commission sent a violation notice informing the city it would be subject to enforcement proceedings. The issue went unsolved.

March 2010: The city held a meeting to consider evidence to support the implementation of the gates and hours of access. Evidence was presented pertaining to public safety issues at the park and on trails. Records show public commenters accused the city of exaggerating crime statistics and nuisance claims.

The City Council unanimously passed a nuisance abatement ordinance. Such a move permits a municipality to act in its citizens’ best interests without prior Commission approval. The city has argued it mitigated crime and protected the public and that public access was not limited because alternative routes, without restrictions, existed.

Days after the city’s adoption, the Coastal Commission issued a notice of appeal. Three appeals were filed, one from a private citizen, one from the nonprofit Surfrider Foundation and one from two members of the Commission. Dana Point filed a brief in opposition, arguing the Commission lacked jurisdiction to review ordinances enacted by a local government.

May 2010: Then-executive director of the Commission, Peter Douglas, called the city’s ordinance adoption “a flagrant attempt to circumvent the public access policies of the Coastal Act and circumvent the public access requirements that the Commission imposed on this project.”

Douglas helped establish the Coastal Act in the mid-1970s. Unanimously, the Commission denied claims that the city’s measures didn’t require their approval. The city was again directed to remove the gates and suspend the hours of access.

The city swiftly countered with a lawsuit. In making its case, the city requested the trial court state the Commission lacked the jurisdiction to invalidate its nuisance abatement ordinance.

June 2010: Surfrider files suit against the city, charging leaders overstepped their authority to abate nuisances and that no record of issues existed. The nonprofit has maintained the city acted to please a few members of the community, while ignoring the rights of others. Surfrider argued the ordinance violated constitutional rights established by the state and national governments.

The two lawsuits were consolidated and transferred from the Orange County Superior Court to the San Diego County Superior Court. Headlands LLC is named in both lawsuits.

April 2011: Days before a hearing was scheduled, the trial court entered a tentative ruling stating the “Commission lacked jurisdiction” to limit enforcement of nuisance abatement measures. At the conclusion of the hearing, the court confirmed its earlier decision and barred the Commission from taking further enforcement action regarding the ordinance.

The Coastal Commission appealed this ruling.

June 2011: Taking Surfrider’s petition into consideration, Superior Court Judge Joan Lewis applied a rational basis standard and determined the city was “entirely lacking in evidentiary support for declaring a nuisance and that the city acted arbitrarily and capriciously in making such a declaration.”

July 2011: Judge Lewis entered judgment and invalidated the city’s nuisance abatement ordinance and ordered the city to cease further actions to enforce that edict.

Both the city of Dana Point and Headlands developer appealed these findings.

June 2013: In a 2-1 decision, a state appellate court ultimately returned the city and Coastal Commission case back to the San Diego County Superior Court to enter a ruling on whether or not the city acted in good faith when it adopted a Nuisance Abatement Ordinance back in 2010

The appellate court confirmed the Coastal Commission does not have jurisdiction over the city’s nuisance ordinance, unless a trial court finds the ordinance was improperly entered as a means to avoid the city’s obligations under the Local Coastal Program.

The appellate court found, in the Coastal Commission case, the trial court erred because it hadn’t specifically addressed whether or not the ordinance was a pretext to avoid a coastal development permitting process. For the time being, the Surfrider case is on hold.

With the state Supreme Court’s denial to hear the case, the Coastal Commission case will likely return to Judge Lewis, to determine whether or not the city acted in “good faith” when adopting its nuisance abatement ordinance. Lewis has already ruled against the city’s nuisance ordinance, something the Surfrider Foundation believes could happen again.

Related articles:

City Seeks State High Court Review of Strand Beach Access Cases

City Bears Burden to Prove Nuisance at Strand, Appellate Court Says

BECOME AN INSIDER TODAY
Trustworthy, accurate and reliable local news stories are more important now than ever. Support our newsroom by making a contribution and becoming a subscribing member today.

About The Author Dana Point Times

comments (3)

  • ‘Protect the public?’ The public is the last thing this city cares about, in my humble opinion. One can specifically predict how the city will act depending on one thing, how much money is talking. Six million dollar bridge to nowhere paid for by the tax payers, no problem. Hideous traffic down our streets, hey, no problem. Blocked access to the ocean, where access potentially lowers the price of a home, stop the anarchy. Rebuild town center? More of the same. Sooner or later We the People in this city need to begin looking at who may own our city ‘leaders’ and begin finding average city folk to lead us, who will take We the People interests into account.

  • Can DP Times or someone just do a records act request so taxpayers can know just how many millions City of DP has spent fighting to limit public beach access? This is the zaniest, anti-public bunch of BS from any local government ….. ever. DP is even acting worse than Malibu. Who is running the City anyway??

  • The Surfriders filed the lawsuit and if you’ve ever been to Strands Beach, you know there is PLENTY of access to the beach. The beach is always well-trafficked. I think Surfrider should drop this lawsuit and leave the residents alone. The people there pay large taxes and the bathrooms and the beach path the development built should make the City and the residents very happy. Why should people need to walk through the community at night? They can get to the beach three different routes–and the beach is closed after 10 anyway!!

comments (3)

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>