By Breeana Greenberg
The City of Dana Point is seeking artists to design 14 additional utility boxes as the city expands into Phase 3 of its public art program. A total of 23 boxes have been wrapped with artwork so far during the first two phases of the program.
Phase 1 was launched in 2020 to help create a vibrant and interesting environment in Dana Point streetscapes.
All artists are chosen by their ability to portray the city’s culture, historic heritage, or a key activity. The art designs cover all four sides and the top of the utility boxes, and are printed on vinyl by a vinyl wrapping company.
The Arts and Culture Commission will choose artists to showcase their work and beautify 14 more utility boxes throughout Dana Point.
The utility boxes in Phase 3 are at these locations:
- Pacific Coast Highway and Selva Road
- Pacific Coast Highway and Golden Lantern
- Golden Lantern and La Cresta Drive
- Golden Lantern and Selva
- Pacific Coast Highway and Crystal Lantern
- Crown Valley and Sea Island Drive
- Pacific Coast Highway and Amber Lantern
- Golden Lantern and Stonehill Drive
- Stonehill Drive and Ocean Hill Drive
- Pacific Coast Highway and Del Obispo
- Pacific Coast Highway and Doheny Park Plaza
- Dana Point Harbor Drive and Puerto Place
- Niguel Road and Monarch Beach Resort
- Niguel Road and Monarch Beach Drive
The city will choose artists based on artistic excellence, innovation, and originality, as well as how the art relates to the area where the utility box is located, among other qualifications. A $250 prize will be awarded to artists whose work has been selected.
Applications will be released on March 21. The deadline for submission is May 20. The City of Dana Point’s website has more information and the application for downloading.
Breeana Greenberg is the city reporter for the Dana Point Times. She graduated from Chapman University with a bachelor of arts degree in English. Before joining Picket Fence Media, she worked as a freelance reporter with the Laguna Beach Independent. Breeana can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Discussion about this post