The article you’re about to read is from our reporters doing their important work — investigating, researching, and writing their stories. We want to provide informative and inspirational stories that connect you to the people, issues and opportunities within our community. Journalism requires lots of resources. Today, our business model has been interrupted by the pandemic; the vast majority of our advertisers’ businesses have been impacted. That’s why the DP Times is now turning to you for financial support. Learn more about our new Insider’s program here. Thank you.

Fire scorching more than 2,000-acres on Camp Pendleton should be contained today, authorities said

A view of the Camp Pendleton fire from Church Beach at San Onofre State Park on Saturday. Photo by Andrea Swayne
A view of the Camp Pendleton fire from Church Beach at San Onofre State Park on Saturday. Photo by Andrea Swayne

By Jim Shilander

A fire at Camp Pendleton that has burned more than 2,200 acres at the base over the weekend is likely to be fully contained by the end of the day, a spokesman with the U.S. Marine Corps said Tuesday.

The fire, which began at 12:45 p.m. Saturday, has largely been confined to undeveloped areas of the Marine Corps base, though it did approach the main hospital at one point. Several vehicles were burned, but no injuries or deaths have been reported. Residents of a housing development located 12 miles from the main gate of the base, near Oceanside, were evacuated at one point, but were allowed to return to their homes Sunday. The hospital was also evacuated as a precaution, but all patients were able to return Sunday. All patients were accounted for by Monday.

The fire was fought by base firefighters, as well as the Southern California Interagency Team 1, which contains elements of the base fire department, the U.S. Fire Service, and city, state and county fire departments. The cause of the fire is still under investigation. The Camp Pendleton Scout Facebook page, which provides news updates from the base, said there were no downed aircraft on the base, in response to rumors that an aircraft mishap had caused the fire.

According to the last update from the base’s hotline at 6 p.m. Monday, the fire is expected to be fully contained at 6 p.m. Tuesday. It was 76 percent contained at the time of the update. The hotline can be reached by calling 760.725.9045.

Trustworthy, accurate and reliable local news stories are more important now than ever. Support our newsroom by making a contribution and becoming a subscribing member today.

About The Author DP Times

comments (0)

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>