DP logoBy Eric Heinz

A structure fire caused by an overload of small electric appliances charred a garage and home in Dana Point around 2:50 p.m. Thursday.

The fire damaged a two-story home on the 34000 Block of Calle Fortuna. Capt. Steve Concialdi of Orange County Fire Authority said the family was having their home renovated and were using a makeshift kitchen in their garage with multiple small appliances plugged into outlets, such as a microwave, toaster and others.

“It just goes to show you that it’s important not to overload a circuit and to unplug small appliances like toasters and microwaves and other small appliances when they’re not being used,” Concialdi said.  “If they’re unplugged, there is no current running to them.”

No one was injured in the inferno, but $200,000 worth of damage was done—$150,000 in damage was done to the home and another $50,000 in damage was done to contents of the home and garage.

The fire was put out in about 30 minutes after 30 OCFA firefighters arrived to heavy smoke and flames. The family was not home at the time of the fire, and a neighbor called 9-1-1 as soon as the fire was visible.

Smoke billowed down neighboring blocks and could be seen from Camino de Estrella.

About The Author Dana Point Times

comments (1)

comments (1)

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>