Letter: Time to Get Your Lantern District Facts Straight

Harold Kaufman, Dana Point

I do not usually respond to letters to the editor because it is usually a waste of time. It won’t change the minds of people that have already had their minds made up. They are not interested in listening to the truth.

But when the facts presented by the letter writer are so completely and utterly incorrect, I just had to at least try to get the correct facts out for the people who read the editorial comments and may think the letter writer knows what he is talking about.

So, Mr. Herald (“Where’s the Lantern District Outcry Citizens,” Dana Point Times, July 18),here are the real facts:

1. The city did not issue a bond for $24 million for the Lantern District. The city has no outstanding bond for this or any other projects. That’s zero, nada, zilch, none. No debt whatsoever. We are debt free.
  2. The height limit in the Lantern District is 40 feet. Not 35 feet but 40 feet.
  3. The Majestic project consisted of three separate buildings with a total of 111 living units. There are 227 parking spaces in the plans for the living units, 47 parking places for the retail spaces and 63 spaces that are in-lieu spaces to be provided from the more than 1,200 surplus peak time spaces available in the Lantern District.

Oh, and Mr. Herald, there was an outcry of the citizens regarding the Lantern District. Ninety percent of the people surveyed said completion of the town center was, after police protection and maintenance of streets, the most important project in Dana Point.

Mr. Herald, feel free to call me if there is anything here you cannot understand (I am in the book).

, , ,

6 Responses to “Letter: Time to Get Your Lantern District Facts Straight”

1. Dave Bartholomew
    August 1, 2014 at 2:11 pm #

Harold Kaufman was City Council for Dana Point. I will not say he is a puppet for special-interest outsiders, for I think the historical facts speak for themselves.
    Mr. Kaufman, I am interested in the truth, the prosperity for us all. I am interested in life, liberty and happiness for us all, not just the One, the Special Interest who financed your campaign to get into office, the Real Estate investor group, the mere 1% who profit by “rents” with new construction, strip malls, hotels, whatever.

Truth is, you are not voted in, you don’t represent there vote, especially when their investment interests takes away the quality of our life of your constituents high standard of living, neighbors, the church going good and or sleepy community.
    You quote the “facts presented” and here too they are so simple, so obvious, the People of Dana Point don’t need to find the old news articles to remind you. (1) You and Diane Harkey took steps to erase a wonderful senior living facility behind Denny’s. (2) Special Interest Investor Owners of that property (were) owners of the Reggis Hotel I think, they didn’t need this property, they lived well, but instead, you and Reggis decided to wreck the lives of these seniors, or future seniors, but you took part in doing just that. (3) City Council is doing the same thing, to quality of life, to the rest of Town Center, when 99% of Dana Point Community will have their quality of life, reversed, hammered, restricted? What is the right word? “Parking?” This is not the point, is it?
    I believe Mr. Herald was right, the spirit of what he says is also right, he is a moral person, you are a very selfish ignorant Hawaiian Time Share owner.
    Why in the world would a city official take actions to lower our life-quality standard?

The city is now talking with organizations who can fund $20 plus million for City Council spending. It doesn’t matter what the spending is for, because, like you say, we don’t need a bond.
    The corruption occurs when past city council like you write letters to spin, to avoid, to omit, you participate with false statements although they may not be exact specific subjects, they serve to cover up important histories and immoral behaviors.
    You say, the “The height limit in the Lantern District is 40 feet. Not 35 feet but 40 feet.”
    Why not just say, that two story buildings can rise now to five stories?” Why not say, developers need not worry that much as to creating enough parking spaces to accommodate the oversize building? Why? Because you planned it that way, you signed off on the plan. Seems to me, you can say things to appear accurate and smart, like saying, in 1930’s Germany Adolf Hitler was good for the economy! Most high school kids would understand the difference, I prey.
    You say, Quote: “The Majestic project consisted of three separate buildings with a total of 111 living units. There are 227 parking spaces in the plans for the living units, 47 parking places for the retail spaces and 63 spaces that are in-lieu spaces to be provided from the more than 1,200 surplus peak time spaces available in the Lantern District.”
    But what you don’t say, is that there are estimated (or guesstimated) 50 other projects like the “Majestic” waiting to be presented to the City Council, any of which or all of which, would create a huge constipation to the community as a whole or attempting to breath in such a stifling environment. Does this “Majestic set a precedence to oncoming calamity, and why in heck does the People of Dana Point want to wreck our community by this outrageous domino effect? Quess what? We want our two story height limit back! Now. Please support that concept.

You say, “Oh, and Mr. Herald, there was an outcry of the citizens regarding the Lantern District. Ninety percent of the people surveyed said completion of the town center was, after police protection and maintenance of streets, the most important project in Dana Point.”
    I didn’t see this poll, the results or believe that the City Council could destroy a City simply because a poll was taken? You say, “Ninety Percent” are in favor? I suppose the next thing you will say is 90% was in favor of the Stands Beach constipated plan? You were there; you cannot run and hide under a rock like Gary Newkirk? Historical fingerprints of the plan are now found out and posted.
    I remember a day 12 years ago, the day of elections, when the GOP Party members hired family and children from Oceanside to come stand with signs, to vote for the GOP Party / scoundrels, Buffalo hunting Land Barons. The children looked so innocent standing at the corner of streets holding up signs, directing us as who to vote for. Too bad they were not told the truth.

2. Michael Frost
    August 1, 2014 at 2:22 pm #

I agree with Harold Kaufman. This junk response is incoherent and dribble at best.

3. Joe Cury
    August 1, 2014 at 9:43 pm #

I’m glad Mr Kaufman took the time to correct errors in the letter, “Where’s the Lantern District Outcry Citizens?”

On the question of the “$24 million dollar bond” that the original author mentioned, perhaps he was referring to the Headlands Community Facilities District (CFD) bond that was scheduled for May/June, 2014. The total amount was $25.5 million, of which $8.7 million was a refinance at a lower interest rate. In as much as CFD bonds are “not general obligations of the City, and neither the faith nor the taxing power of the City is pledged to the payment of these bonds” (sources: danapoint.org website), I don’t see how this bond issue is relevant to either the Lantern District development or the overall financial health of DP.

In my opinion, opponents of the Majestic project and the Doheny Hotel are engaged in a futile effort to slow down population growth and the number of visitors to the city, whether or not they are successful in these two efforts.

4. Jim Slark
    August 9, 2014 at 11:16 pm #

These are developers and those who profit from the corporate vision directed at our city talking. It is time for residents to begin having a say, to prevent the total sterilization of our placed of residence. Let me put it this way, I walked for the first time along Strands last evening. I hadn’t seen the development, the building that has taken place. What I saw was a row of monstrosities, huge barns trumping the beautiful wildness gone, for now. In my opinion that’s what Mr. Harold Kaufman and his ilk in this city stand for, to make a comfy profit without regard to the city or it’s residents. It’s time to replace the cabal that has so much power with the power of the residents who want a livable city without the need of monstrosities.

• Dave Bartholomew
      August 10, 2014 at 9:15 pm #

Hi Jim Slark
      That was a beautiful comment. I wish Harold Kaufman, Diane Harkey, current council of Dana Point could find the time walk the Strands with every voting citizen. In so doing, walking the great California precious, inspirational environment like John Muir inspired the U.S. Congress. This famous naturalist is quoted to say of Yosemite National Park, “The mountains are calling and I must go.” ― John Muir.

So to Jim, you say the same thing!
      ― John Muir, I say, the ocean and beach is calling us, and we must go to it, we must see it.”

Please help! (campaign theme)
      Join with us to Save the Dana Point Harbor
      Save Our Beautiful Ocean Views and Inspired Openspace!

When strangers break in, rob our home it is natural to be very emotional, upset, even mad! For some strange reason, when our local politicians act to steal our money, why is it that our same neighbors yawn, becoming apathetic? In my opinion, the quality of our life may depend upon the security of our quality lifestyle.
      OVER BUILDING THE HARBOR, HUGE APARTMENT COMPLEX? Wake up citizens; for Thomas Jefferson demands it of us / true Americans!

Currently, our local City Council is found out to have secretly sold off our high standard of living with a mortgage for ugly apartment projects, having no place for parking, no resolve for over population densities, no way to pay for such planning other than to steal our hard earned tax base.

Our city has saved for years, to secure funds intended to uplift our life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. The opposite has occured, engineered so that you don’t see the long term destructiveness; an eight year veil.

Our elective officials engineered a way to bankrupt a prosperous community. I believe there actions to be prosecutable.

We must now wake up, to chose to stop corruption and ignorance of elected officials, the pretenders, the sitting vultures hidden under eagles clothing. Like Mr. Slark says, their moral behaviors and promises were heard clearly, their hidden agenda not then portrayed during their election, is now seen in Harbor Rental Scheme, in windfall Town Center / Lantern District – Massive Apartment Scheme.
      We must act quickly, ,,, not because it is easy …but because it is hard!
      DaveBartholomew at cox dot net welcomes your discussion, you insights and energy (as I am running out of energy. Sorry.)

5. Jim Slark
    August 9, 2014 at 11:19 pm #

where did my letter go? I submitted it, then when there was no response I hit the submit comment button again. That prompted a page that told me my response was a duplicate, but the original comment never appeared.